In 1901 or thereabouts, Mr John Hall commenced Business as a furniture maker in Timaru. He quickly diversified, taking on the role of the undertaker. Mr J.J. (James) Moore soon joined him, and they set up their funeral home, Hall and Moore, in a shop in Stafford Street Timaru, close to where the Warehouse Stationery now stands.
They grew the business, changed its name to Aoraki Funeral Home, and on 12th December 2004, Timaru Mayor Janie Annear cut the ribbon on their new pride and joy, their purpose-built premises at 160 Mountain View Road. They remained at Aoraki until Shelley, and Jim Wilson took over in 2013.
The funeral business has changed over the years, but one thing has remained the same – the sterling reputation of the business that is now Aoraki Funeral Services has remained intact.
The McBride Connection
In 1974, the O’Reilly’s needed to find work for their men in their downtime. Mr Arnold Earl ran McBride Monumental Masons, located in the premises now occupied by Pope Print on Sophia Street. The business was started by Samuel McBride, who had been building and supplying monuments, plaques and headstones to the South Canterbury community since about 1871. He was a fine craftsman, and his work was renowned throughout the district. Arnold kept up the tradition of highly skilled design and implementation.